Accolades, Award or Notable Achievements
1. Dr. Shu Park Chan Academic Merit Scholarships : Dr. Shu –Park Chan Scholarship Award – Spring 2015 and Dr. Shu –Park Chan Scholarship Award-Summer 2015 International Technological University, Master of Business Administration (M.B.A) Health Care Management The Dr. Shu-Park Chan Academic Merit Scholarships recognize students’ academic achievements at ITU. Named after ITU’s founder, the scholarship rewards those students who excel in their studies at ITU, and show great enthusiasm, zeal and aptitude for their work, demonstrated through their grades. The Shu-Park Chan Merit Scholarship is a partial tuition remission award based upon high academic achievement and other criteria (community services) approved by the Academic Leadership Council and the Provost/VPAA. One among 14 students selected for this award from a total of 1400
2. Best model display and presentation-Awarded 1st Prize. Title-“Healthy child healthy India-OT perspective” at EMCON , 47th All India Occupational Therapists’ Association (A.I.O.T.A) National Conference held in January 2010, India.
3. Best Street play –Awarded 2nd Prize. Title-“New Dimensions in Occupational Therapy” at EMCON , 47th All India Occupational Therapists’ Association (A.I.O.T.A) National Conference held in January 2010, India.
4. Best Poster display and presentation-Awarded 3rd Prize. Title-“Occupational Therapy in Sports Injuries” at EMCON , 45th All India Occupational Therapists’ Association (A.I.O.T.A) National Conference held in January 2008, India.
5. Nominated member of the CAPTAIN (California Autism Professional Training and Information Network) Cadre- 1 among the only 2 Occupational Therapists in the CAPTAIN Cadre CAPTAIN is a multiagency network developed to support the understanding and use of Evidence Based Practices for individuals affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder across the state.
6. Nominated member of Autism Connections – A multiagency network of the San Joaquin County focusing on awareness, implementation and training of interventions and EBPs for individuals affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder.
7. Member of AOTA, WFOT and AIOTA
8. Research Projects: a. The influence of culture on development and intervention of sensory and motor skills in children A Collaborative Project of Manipal University, India with Governor’s State University of Illinois, USA in January 2010 b. Awareness of and Attitude towards Laptop Related Musculoskeletal Problems and Patterns of laptop use among University students A research project as a part of Internship at Manipal University, India in August 2009
9. Certifications/Trainings: a. Certified Driver’s Rehabilitation Therapist, All India Occupational Therapists Association (AIOTA) b. Certification in Hand Splinting, Department of Occupational Therapy, Manipal, India c. Basic Training on MOVE International(Mobility Opportunities Via Education), USA d. Trained in ABA therapy-Reinforcement, DTT , Errorless learning and reducing challenging behaviors through ABA Principles, Association of Behavior Analysis, India e. National Board Certification as an OTR/L (Occupational Therapist Registered and Licensed)-NBCOT(National Board of Certification in Occupational Therapy) and CBOT(California Board of Occupational Therapy) f. Social skills for Children in ASD-AOTA, USA g. SELPA Series-Understanding of Autism Spectrum Disorders, ABA Principles and EBPs or supporting students in Educational Settings-Autism Spectrum Disorders Institute for Education, USA h. HWT(Handwriting Without Tears)-PreK Readiness and Writing, K-2 Writing and Handwriting Assessment-Handwriting Without Tears, USA i. PECS(Picture Exchange Communication System) Level 1 Training- Pyramid Educational Consultants, USA j. Autism Spectrum Disorder-CAPTAIN Cadre training, USA k. Evidence Based Practices for Autism Spectrum Disorders –ABTA,USA l. R.O.P.E.S training for improved Executive functioning-ABTA,USA m. Certified in Advanced manipulation of Spine n. Certified on Physical Adjunct Modalities 10. Certification in Progress a. Handwriting Without Tears Level 1 Certification-HWT, USA b. Autism Level 1 Certification-AOTA, USA
I made in the hunger and my wish to create a larger impact on the population and to contribute to my passion for Occupational Therapy.
When a child feels out of step with the rest of the world without understanding why, it is not uncommon for the lives of the whole family to unravel. My great passion is serving and offering Evidence based interventions to children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. It’s like trying to break the code to how the world works while the code is forever changing. I help children and their families figure out the sensory diet and use effective strategies to have the sync in their daily life. I come up with proactive strategies and specific interventions for the autism program which are then embedded into the daily schedule and implemented throughout the day on a daily basis. I train teachers and staff on implementing classroom wide supports comprising of sensory modulation and integration, purposeful play, fine motor and handwriting interventions. Currently, I serve 31 classes in the autism program spanning from Prek through 8th Grade. I know no single approach is the right one for every individual, and so I have been trained in a range of therapeutic approaches and interventions including Sensory Integration, ABA principles, EBPs for ASD, Handwriting without tears, Autism specific Occupational Therapy Interventions, PECS and Special Education Local Plan Areas Autism Series for supporting students in educational settings. My educational background includes a Bachelor’s in Occupational Therapy from Manipal, India and a MBA in Healthcare Management form San Jose, USA. I have several certifications and in the process of getting some more. I believe learning in an ongoing process of life and there is always something new to learn. As it is rightly said, “Even the wisest mind has something yet to learn.”